Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Matt Stafford Might Be All Grown Up!

Could this be the year?
We have been here before, many of times actually, where we are not sure what to do with Matt Stafford.  Sure, he has the talent, the big arm and the SEC pedigree, all the makings of a franchise quarterback, but it seems that consistency has never been his strong suit.  Many analysts point out how Matt never follows through with his fundamentals and every year it seems that there is a new coach in place to help him out.  Every year we see glimpses, but there is never any follow through and we always end up seeing an inconsistent Mr. Stafford.  I for one, was not looking to take him too high as my fantasy quarterback, although I do like him, but like many in the NFL, he lacks consistency.  One thing I look for in my quarterback is a guy that will give me at least 15 a week as I don't want the guy who gives me 4 one week then 40 the next, which Stafford has been.  This year, the quarterback whisperer has come to town and that is Jim Caldwell.  He turned Joe Flacco, who was having a pretty bad year into a Super Bowl winning quarterback in the same season.  Even though it has only been one game and it was at home against a not so great defense, Stafford showed some signs of maturity.  He did not make any major mistakes and looked a lot more patient.  He also realizes that he has more targets than just Megatron.  I am not saying that Stafford is the best quarterback in the league, but I do think he will be a lot more consistent and I would move him into a top 5 quarterback going forward.  He has a lot of weapons around including Megatron, Tate, Bush, Ebron, Pettigrew Fauria among others.  I think this is the year that Stafford and the Lions turn some heads.

No comments:

Post a Comment