Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Troy Polamalu Wins Defensive Player of the Year?

Defensive Player of the year,
Troy Polamalu of the
Pittsburgh Steelers
I am conflicted over this, as much as I love this guy and realize how much he does for his team, I am not sure if I would give him the award this season.  He is definitely the most important difference maker on defense as I have never seen a team lose a guy on defense and their team plays as if they lost their starting quarterback.  In fact, I will go a step further as Ben Roethlisberger missed the first four games this year and they went 3-1 losing a tight game to Baltimore 17-14.  When Polamalu didn't play this year, they went 1-1 and in years past it was a lot worse.  There were a few games this year when he made game saving plays, which I have discussed in the past, especially at the biggest moments of the season.  The Steelers are back in the Super Bowl again.  He was one of the leaders in interceptions, even though, he spends a ton of time around the line of scrimmage to help stop the run or blitz off the edge to add pressure.  Is there more that he could have done though?  No, not really.  This guy is insanely good and deserves the award I was just messing around, nobody impacts a team on the defensive side of the ball like this guy does.  Case closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment