Monday, January 24, 2011

Is Cutler Tough or Not?

Let me put my two cents in about Jay Cutler and then will put it to rest.  The quarterback position requires that you be smart and tough.  I feel that Cutler, despite what everybody is saying, was both.  I only need to go back to the 2007 year when Philip Rivers played through an ACL injury against the Patriots in the AFC Championship.  The Chargers would lose 21-12 with Philip Rivers gutting it out, but I have always questioned why they would sign Billy Volek to a big contract to be the backup and not use him when they needed him.  Rivers was pretty ineffective that day and there is nothing to say Volek would have beat the Patriots, but the ability to move and plant are vital for a quarterback.

Cutler is a lot of things, but one thing I have never questioned was his toughness.  This guy gets hit all the time and gets back up. It was stated from his teammates that they were surprised that he even played as long as he did.  Even if he is standing on the sideline, if it was known that he has trouble planting then the move is to take him out.  This is not high school or even a lower division college game, this is the championship against the Packers.  You are not going to beat Charles Woodson, Sam Shields and Tramon Williams throwing at 50 or 60 percent.  The biggest problem I saw is having a quarterback who takes as many sacks as Cutler does and having your backup quarterbacks be Todd Collins and Caleb Hanie.  Hanie did what he could, but I wouldn't expect that too often out of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment