Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Predictions Part Deux: Fantasy Sleepers

Now that most fantasy drafts have been done, I can add my 2 cents about what I think.  The always controversial first pick is an overrated one.  If you decide to take Adrian Peterson, Chris Johnson and even the oft mentioned Arian Foster in this years, you will be doing fine.  Any one of them can get injured and the fact that Foster is already nursing a hamstring injury does drop him a bit in a standard league. Now in a points per reception league, I think the risk would be warranted as he is much better in the receiving category than the other two.  That being said if all 3 are healthy, I am going to say I take Peterson last out of the three simply because he has to play against much better opponents.  The Titans and Texans both get to play a possibly very tired Colts defense if Manning does not come back for some time, never mind the fact that they are always a team that gives up a lot of yards on the ground.  I think the same can be said for the Jaguars, who most likely will not be putting up a lot of points as they just threw in the towel, by cutting David Garrard.  Teams will run in the AFC South as opposed to the Vikings who must play the much improved Lions, Bears and the Packers twice a year.
I think Aaron Rodgers will have a very good year, but I think if Ryan Grant and James Starks can start running the ball like 2 years ago, Rodgers will not have to put up the numbers that he did last year.  I do think that the Packers are still the team to beat with the Saints and the Eagles coming up third, as I do not think that Vick will be healthy all year long.
Mr. Newton could be a fantasy sleeper
A couple of wide receiver sleepers that I haven't seen drafted and are off the radar are Nate Burleson from the Detroit Lions, this is totally dependent upon Matt Stafford's health, and Antonio Brown from the Pittsburgh Steelers.  Big Ben has a lot of targets and this speedster will take advantage of single coverage, which will lead to some big plays.
I am not a big fan of Cam Newton as the number one overall pick, but I don't mind him as a reserve quarterback in a 2 quarterback league.  I think head coach Ron Rivera will have him take it slow and they will be a run heavy team.  Cam Newton is not a small guy like Michael Vick.  This guy can take some hits and keep going.  Defensive backs are not going to go head first with Mr. Newton and I am not sure linebackers will do it either.  Considering he is bigger than running back Jonathan Stewart and Deangelo Williams, get ready for at least 10 rushing touchdowns and at least 400 rushing yards (I think he will go over 400)  to go along with maybe 10 to 15 passing touchdowns.  That will give you some good depth and considering you can get him through free agency, a huge value to Vick who is usually going in the first round.
I will add snippets as I go, so if you are looking for some guys late in the week, I will try to pitch in and get you over the top on a week to week basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment